Saturday, March 10, 2012

3 more items off my list

#11. Replant my african violet into a bigger pot
Went to Stodels to get my bigger pot and potting soil. I also redeeming my free monthly gift and ta da, it was a plant! It’s usually some kind of bag of fertilizer or peat moss or something. This plant is actually a tree that will grow between 2m-4m high. Hopefully it’ll last for a year or so in this bigger pot until we can get a home with a garden.  I had to gather some rocks for the bottom of the pots (drainage) and felt sheepish about picking them up in the street. O well, done.

#19. Prepare a week’s worth of meals in one day so I don’t have to cook for a whole week
Did this last Saturday within a 3 hour period! I made two meatloaves out of one packet of ostrich mince/ground meat, chicken naranja (orange juice, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, lemon juice, sesame seeds), chicken fajita bake (peppers, onion, chicken, spiced tomato sauce…cheese to be added on day of baking), sloppy joes from ostrich mince. Two days were meatless days which I threw a couple potatoes in the oven and chopped up a quick greek salad. I forgot how much I enjoy a baked potato from time to time. Easy and satisfying. And we were at a friend’s house for a bbq one eve. So technically, due to the baked potato nights (2) and dinner at friends we still have 2 meals in the freezer for this coming week! Bonus. This cooking for the week, into the freezer business, is awesome. I don’t think I can look back now. Doing it again for this week. It doesn’t take long-I mean 3 hours in total including prep and clean up is pretty smashing, we only grocery shopped once that week so our budget was in tact, and the stove/oven had a break as did I, plus the minimized load of dishes in the sink were nice. It’ll make dinner time easy for when baby comes.
#44. Do the 45 min bird walk on intaka island in century city
This is a little bird sanctuary (16 hectares) of wetland habitat in the midst of a thriving urban environment. My husband, who’d lived here for 10 years didn’t realize this place was there. He’d heard of Intaka Island, but thought it was like Woodbridge Island-houses and golf course. I’d seen the sign a couple times when driving to or from Century City/Canal Shopping area and thought it was like an industrial area as they tend to give nature sounding names to industrial areas here (Montague Gardens, Paardeneiland- pronounced Parden Island, etc). But when I was doing up my list, I looked up free things to do in the Cape and saw a write up on this place. It’s a nice little bird sanctuary. I thought of Laura and how she’d come with eagerness and her fancy Canon to capture the birds. Then she might enter the wildlife photo competition that takes place at HR Macmillan Space Center. We went to that one year with Heather (Heather also gave me her bird sanctuary membership card when she moved. Heather is a nice lady who is lotso fun!). I remember that there was this one lady won all the categories. Can’t remember her name, but in winter 2008, we referred to her whenever we saw a bird in a sanctuary type area while taking a photo or seeing a photo of wildlife. I remember not liking her cuz she won all the categories. That’s just not right. You can’t win best overall photo plus all the other categories. My fav part was sitting in the bigger bird viewing shack thingy and feeling like we were on a boat amongst the various birds. One of my husband’s first comment in the sanctuary was “this would be a great place to shoot an action movie.” Really honey? The serenity of birds makes you think action movie? I don’t think he took into account the fact that the area is WETlands. Not so friendly with the walking and running aspect of action. But I think he was just focusing on the many tall reeds and maybe thought Rambo or Vietnam war or something. I can’t say for sure as we didn’t get into it.







I am loving checking things off my list. It’s fun! I’m working on 2 items that take a few days/weeks to accomplish: hair and makeup every Sunday for a month & reading the 1st book of a popular series. I got Twilight from the library today. I know my friends suggested Harry Potter over Twilight but the library didn’t have the 1st Harry, so vampires it is. Besides, I followed the plot in the Twilight movie series much better than the first few Potter movies. Near the end of the movie that came out in 2009, I turned to Laura to ask who Voldermort is. I mean that right there says how much I got out of the movies! Laura was quite angry at my question. You other Potter fans might also be angry right now after reading that confession. It is what it is. My talent does not lie in following fictional series.

2 comments:

  1. lol. i think her name is virginia and you were like "well he wasn't in the other ones." i'm glad you are thinking about our bird times. remember the weird duck we named buddy?

    ReplyDelete