Saturday, March 3, 2012

Item 39 and 82, booyah, done baby!

#39 Check out hout bay organic market (thurs mornings 41 victoria rd) REPLACED WITH prepare 72 hour kit

After re-reading my list, I decided I didn't really want to go to the organic market in Hout Bay. It was just an item I listed near the end when I was running out of goals to accomplish. But yesterday morning, I woke up to a voice saying that I'm not prepared in the event of an emergency. I have no emergency bag packed ready to go in case I need to evacuate quickly. You can't really even grab things together during an emergency as you are not thinking clearly. So, I took the bulk of the morning and assembled 2 kits. One for me, one for husband. I used the list from our church website. Our kits are not 100% in that there is no shovel nor axe, but all the basics are there to get us through. I'm going to add to the food portion I set aside yesterday as I know I won't be happy on canned foods and nuts alone. I'm going grocery shopping after this blog, then I can add some yummies to our kits. The contents are in nice sealed big ziploc bags ready for evacuation.

#82 Attend a community/city event/festival

This was an improptu moment. When I woke up this morning, I had no plans of taking part in a community event today. Also, when I wrote up this list, I had something much different in mind like a carnival or festival. So, I went for a walk along beachfront as the weather was reminiscent of Tofino. I went down to the beach and sat and watched the surfers. I saw alot of people with yellow bags picking up garbage on the beach. I looked over and saw a bunch of garbage where I was sitting. Then I thought, why not take part in this community event? I wasn't wearing the right clothes or shoes for beach combing, but at least the blasted sun isn't burning hot today.

I walked over and got my yellow garbage bag and blue glove and set off along the dune part of the beach. Garbage collects nicely in there amongst the low lying beach foliage. At first, I was so excited and was raring to fill my huge bag. But after about 25mins of sifting teeny pieces of styromfoam, tissue and cigarette butts, the drab reality of my bag being full before I tire was drifting into the ocean. I combed for quite a distance, bending over ever few seconds to pick up something small. I got really excited when I found a big crumpled Nando's takeaway bag. I contemplated walking over to the restaurant and asking if they had any garbage for me to take. But that would be cheating and perhaps a bit weird. So I continued. Of course that hot ball of gas was shining bright and causing me to sweat and drain my energy.

After about 50mins of intense combing, I threw in the perverbial towel. I took my 1/6th filled bag to the collection area, tied it up, emptied a gallon of sand from my runners, wiped the sweat off my face, entered the draw for a free surf/kite board and walked home tired yet satisfied. Too bad I didn't have my garbage bag on the way home cuz there was a treasure trove of crap littering the streets!

No comments:

Post a Comment